About Me

My photo
The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) is the largest federal employee union representing 600,000 federal and D.C. government workers nationwide and overseas. All throughout the year, each department at the headquarters hires interns to gain experience in their intended career. This year, a Communication's intern Necole Jackson interviewed some of them about their time spent here and how AFGE was helpful to them. Check out the blog, interviews, and pictures from the 2010 Interns.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Communications Department

Thanks to the Communications Department, we were able to display all of AFGE's interns experience. The Communications Department keeps our members informed on daily issues inside and outside AFGE. We have three interns in this department. Necole Jackson, who put the whole intern experience project together, and the interviewies Talia Roth (right), and Destiny Williams, who also helped (left).





Here is Destiny's interview about interning in the Communications Department.




Here is Talia's interview:


Q. Tell me your Name, Age, School and Classification if you attend one?

         A. Talia Roth, 19, Syracuse University, Sophomore

Q. What department do you work in at AFGE?

         A. Communications Department

Q. What are some of the things that you deal with on a daily basis?

         A. Lately, I have been doing a lot of work on AFGE Web sites. I do designs, updates, and make them more accessible. I have also been booking guests and do research for interviews on the radio show.

Q. What are your career goals and how does AFGE help to prepare you for it?

         A. I hope to work in the non-profit industry either doing Graphic Design, writing or policy work. I think AFGE has given me an opportunity to either do or see all of those things and how they are put into action in a non-profit organization.

Q. Tell me your greatest experience working at here.

         A. My greatest experience has been getting official OKs from government professionals to come on our radio show. I have worked really hard and to get them and when they finally respond with a date it is a really great feeling of accomplishment.

Q. What advice would you give the next intern or hire here at AFGE?

         A. I would say be your own advocate. I have used skills here that I have interest in, such as Graphic Design, that I didn’t originally think was going to be part of my internship. When I expressed interest and my boss noticed my experience in it, she gave me assignments that I really had a lot of fun with. There are so many different things that go on every day in each department and it is really important that you are working on the things you enjoy most and are the best at.